Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Reported Waterspout / Twister / Tornado Comes Ashore Sunset Beach, Orange County, California

January 19th, 2010 - 1530 Los Angeles Time

A few hours ago, in Sunset Beach / Seal Beach Orange County California, it was reported a likely waterspout came ashore and became a twister / tornado, tossing boats and overturning vehicles (multiple boats and at least one SUV of 6000 lbs – “at least Fujita Scale 2, F-2,” reported by weatherman Josh on KCAL 9 News Central @ 1548). Also reported were blown-out windows and uprooted trees. Thankfully, there were no reported injuries.

I wish I had some monitoring devices to see what was going on in the local atmosphere at the time. Maybe I’ll ask the NOAA folks for a likely explanation of how this phenomenon materialized.
AVT


I submitted the following question(s) to National Weather Service / NOAA at:
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/

NOAA, National Weather Service,
I write to ask you for an explanation of the reported waterspout / twister /tornado that appeared to have come ashore this afternoon in Seal Beach / Sunset Beach, Orange County, California. Could you explain to me how this twister may have come to be formed? Otherwise, could you point me in the direction of where I may learn more of how this possible waterspout came ashore to become a ‘likely’ tornado in coastal Orange County, California? I am curious, was this phenomenon predictable by typical tornado prediction models? Please let me know, if you would be so kind. Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.
Sincerely,
Adam Trotter

No comments:

Post a Comment